If we wish to dump open clouds like Dropbox and Google Drive and build a self-hosted cloud for your group or business, afterwards Nextcloud is an ideal solution. It provides roughly all a compulsory facilities of a cloud storage provider along with all a control and confidence advantages of a private, self-hosted solution.
In this post, we am going to initial find a hosting provider that supports Nextcloud, and afterwards we will setup this resolution to emanate my private cloud. If we need a private cloud too afterwards follow this educational to make one regulating Nextcloud.
Why use Nextcloud?
What held my eye during a initial peek is, Nextcloud has immense support for renouned platforms — mobile as good as desktop platforms. It provides local apps for many handling systems, permitting we or your group to work from any device or place. That means, there is no some-more infrastructure costs, thankfully.
That is only a start — Nextcloud hosts a lot some-more facilities that make it an extraordinary private cloud solution. Some of a distinct facilities include:
- Self-hosted solution – Nextcloud can be hosted roughly anywhere — your home or office, a information center, or a hosting provider, giving we sum control where a developers have no entrance to your data.
- Sharing features – Nextcloud allows pity files with assent of mind. You can share files with anyone on your cloud or out of your cloud regulating cue stable links and they can also upload files.
- Security foremost – Nextcloud facilities industry-standard reserve and confidence practices including end-to-end encryption feature. It supports renouned authentication, control, and accede schemes.
- Lots of integrations – Nextcloud comes with support for integrations — apps and services to extend a functionality of your cloud. For example, we can conduct tasks, revise files in Markdown, and do more.
Where to try Nextcloud?
If we are only looking for a giveaway comment to try out Nextcloud, afterwards we can use hosting providers that offer managed instances of Nextcloud. However, a giveaway comment might not yield vast storage distance or support for all apps or features.
Please find subsequent a list of such services to try out Nextcloud immediately:
- Dediserve – Allocates a sum of 10GB in your giveaway account.
- oCloud.de It provides a giveaway comment with 1GB storage space.
- OwnDrive – Offers a 1GB comment with support for some apps.
- Serverdiscounter – Avails a whopping storage space of 5GB.
- Unixcorn – Allows discerning sign-up and provides 1GB space.
- Wölkli – Offers an comment with 1GB storage space for free.
How to implement Nextcloud?
Nextcloud can be commissioned on your server regulating any of a 3 methods:
- Web installer – It is a quickest approach to implement Nextcloud on your server, generally in common hosting. You need to upload a singular record to your server and govern it — it downloads and installs this solution.
- Archive file – It is a endorsed choice for a server owner. You need to upload a finish package (as archive) and remove a calm in a folder on your web server to make it accessible publicly for all.
- Appliances – It is a easiest routine for non tech-savvy persons though it is again germane for server owners. You need to download an picture record with pre-installed Nextcloud and bucket it on your machine.
Let us initial speak about a complement mandate indispensable for installing and regulating a private cloud regulating Nextcloud. As many of a giveaway hosting providers offer a Linux distribution-based hosting service, so we am going to concentration on mandate for such a use below. You can check full complement requirements here.
- Server OS: CentOS 6.5 or 7, Debian 8+, openSUSE LEAP 42.1 or above, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5 or newer, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 or 12, and Ubuntu 14.04 and above LTS releases are supported.
- Memory: Minimum 128 MB, though 512MB RAM is recommended.
- Storage: Minimum 500 MB, though it depends on your requirements. Also, a server contingency concede a record with distance of 65 MB for installing Nextcloud regulating a elite routine of regulating a web installer (single php file).
- Web server: Apache 2.4 (php-fpm, mod_php) or Nginx (php-fpm).
- Database: MySQL or MariaDB 5.5+ as good as PostgreSQL 9 and 10.
- PHP: PHP 5.6 and a newer versions are upheld by Nextcloud.
Free hosting provider
I indispensable a hosting provider for formulating my possess cloud. we was looking for a giveaway use as my cloud is only for proxy storage, though if we are critical enough, greatfully opt for a good hosting or buy a VPS for this task.
That being said, we went on a hunt to find a giveaway hosting that comes with a smallest complement mandate indispensable for Nextcloud. And we contingency share that anticipating a giveaway web horde for this resolution was not easy. After hours of acid and perplexing out 10-20 providers, we found 000Webhost works flawlessly.
Let’s implement Nextcloud
In this tutorial, we am going to implement Nextcloud regulating a initial method, i.e., using a web installer. The reason being, we devise to keep this routine easy for everybody of we and it is a only routine that works good on common hosting.
Follow a subsequent stairs to get adult and regulating with your private cloud:
- First of all, open this link and switch to ‘Web Installer’ add-on (at a bottom of a page), and download a record mentioned in a initial step.
- Go to your server’s dashboard and open a record manager. For example, in 000Webhost, we will see a following dashboard.
- Once in a record manager, click a upload button. Do note that we might see a opposite shade formed on your server or host.
- Now name a record ‘setup-nextcloud.php’ (which we downloaded in step #1) from your mechanism and upload it to your server regulating record manager.
- After a record is uploaded, open ‘your-domain/setup-nextcloud.php’ in your browser. For example, if your domain is ‘example.com’ afterwards we contingency navigate to ‘example.com/setup-nextcloud.php’.
- You will see a setup sorceress of Nextcloud. Click Next to begin.
- Now we need to tell a designation office for Nextcloud. If we do not wish to use a sub-directly, just enter “.” (full-stop) else enter a office name. For instance, if your domain is ‘example.com’ we can use a same to entrance Nextcloud if do not discuss a name, though if we do we can entrance your private cloud during a couple ‘example.com/folder-name’.
- If all will go well, we will now see a success page. Just click Next here.
- In a subsequent screen, Nextcloud will ask we to setup an admin account, regulating that we can entrance and conduct your private cloud thereafter. Just enter your preferred certification and press a Finish button.
- It’s done. Finally, we will see a acquire summary from Nextcloud.
- That was all. You successfully combined your private cloud regulating Nextcloud.
1. we uploaded a repository though we do not see it on my server.
In this case, it is illusive that your server does not support vast adequate files to uncover or store a record that we are uploading regulating FTP or File Manager. Kindly determine a same by uploading any other record of vast distance ( 60MB).
If a server does not support vast files to upload a Nextcloud archive, we can remove a repository on your mechanism and upload a extracted content to your server’s open directly (public_html or htdocs) around FTP. However, Nextcloud repository has some-more than 12 thousand files, so we might also finish adult in another emanate where your server does not support creation so many upload requests.
2. At ‘Dependency check’ page, it says dependencies error.
If Nextcloud tells we about some emanate during a ‘Dependency check’ page, afterwards your server does not support all a compulsory programs/packages to run it. That means we need to find another server that supports Nextcloud.
3. After ‘Dependency check’ page, it formula in server error.
In such a case, possibly your server does not support vast adequate files to concede a installer to download a Nextcloud repository or a server has reduction execution time set, and a Nextcloud’s setup record needs some-more time to complete.
You can puncture around your server’s settings and increase a PHP’s execution time extent to 300 seconds or more. Here is a tutorial to assistance we accomplish it.
What to do with Nextcloud?
The initial thing we did was to check out a settings and customize a several options to accommodate my mandate — generally encryption and confidence options. Then we experimented with uploading files and checking out a features.
The some-more we puncture into Nextcloud a some-more we will like it. For example, we can extend a functionality by adding apps from a app store. You will notice it has several apps — both central and third-party ones to supplement some-more features. For example, we can supplement calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
Did we conduct to emanate your private cloud? What did we do initial with your Nextcloud? Please write your feedback as comments below.